Welcome to Vulture Peak's online home!
The 2015-2016 theme for Vulture Peak is “Soaring Towards Success”. Success is defined through strong academics, student behavior, and community involvement. To help uphold our theme, we will welcome several new staff members to Vulture Peak. Mr. John Arterberry will be teaching 6th and 7th grade math, Mrs. Jill Henrichsen will teach art, Mr. Bradley Witham will teach 7th and 8th grade social studies, and Ms. Barbara Hashagen will teach physical education. All of these teachers have received extensive training and are looking forward to planting their roots here in Wickenburg. In addition to new teachers, we are pleased to welcome Mrs. Heather Rubash as our attendance clerk and school nurse, and Mrs. Cassie Stoneking, as the restart room/digital learning aide. We are excited to welcome these staff members to the Vulture Peak family and look forward to the fresh perspective and energy they will bring.
Vulture Peak has a rich tradition, which, combined with our initiatives to meet the challenge of today’s learner, gives students the opportunity to blossom both academically and socially. These initiatives include the following:
- Honors Courses – In this program, 7th and 8th grade students are afforded an opportunity to move ahead of the instructional pace and are also introduced to a variety of areas to enhance their learning experience. The honors curriculum is currently offered in English and social studies.
- Accelerated Math - Students may be placed in accelerated math courses based on a placement test, teacher, or parent recommendation. Algebra and Geometry courses will be held at Wickenburg High School. Students taking these courses, while enrolled at Vulture Peak, will receive high school credit upon completion.
- Reteach and Enrich - This program is built into the school day and is designed to provide immediate help for students who did not achieve mastery while providing extended learning opportunities for students who did achieve mastery on a given lesson.
- Digital Learning Lab - These courses have been created to target students who scored in the “Falls Far Below’ category for the majority of the prior school year. The concept is to provide additional help to students to close the learning gap. An added bonus for this school year will be access to computer programming in the areas of math and language arts. This added mode of instruction will ensure that the learning needs of all students are met.
- Digital Leaders Program - This program will help accelerate students that have the capacity to work at their own pace in math, English, science, and social studies using the Edgenuity curriculum. The program requirements include; teacher recommendation, adequate grades from the prior school year, one science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) project per semester and required community service hours.
- Raising Expectations - This program is designed to help students who may have fallen behind for various reasons by providing a strong tutoring program once a week in the areas of language arts and math.
To ensure your child has stress free and productive school days, please continue a good sleep routine so that your child is well rested. Also, allow time for a healthy breakfast; make sure you know how your child will be getting home each day, and the lunch plan.
Please join us for our monthly Principal’s Coffee. Principal’s Coffee provides an opportunity to share celebrations and Vulture Peak happenings. Please make sure to visit us on a regular basis and “like” us on our school Facebook. Both of these venues are ways to keep up with the most current events at school.
I look forward to working with you and your child. Let’s work together to make this their best year ever!
Jennifer Teshka, Principal