As we wind down the 2015-2016 and start planning for the next school year, please keep our programming in mind. We will offer the following curriculum specialties to your child for the 2016-2017 school year. Student elective sheets will come out on April 25. Please contact the front office if there are any questions.
- Honors Courses – In this program, 7th and 8th grade students are afforded an opportunity to move ahead of the instructional pace and are also introduced to a variety of areas to enhance their learning experience. The honors curriculum is currently offered in English and social studies.
- Accelerated Math - Students may be placed in accelerated math courses based on a placement test, teacher, or parent recommendation. Algebra and geometry courses will take place at Wickenburg High School. Students taking these courses, while enrolled at Vulture Peak, will receive high school credit upon completion. The placement test has already been given to 7th and 8th graders, and also to 6th graders per parent request.
- Reteach and Enrich - This program is built into the school day and help during 7th hour. Reteach and Enrich is designed to provide immediate help for students who did not achieve mastery while providing extended learning opportunities for students who did achieve mastery on a given lesson.
- Digital Learning Lab - Digital Learning Lab is an intervention class that have been created to target students who scored in the “minimally proficient” category for the majority of the prior school year. The concept is to provide additional support for students to close their learning gaps. Students have access to the iReady program, Dreambox, and other interventions that are specifically tailored for student learning.
- Digital Leaders Program - This program will help accelerate students that have the capacity to work at their own pace in math, English, science, and social studies using the Edgenuity curriculum. The program requirements include; teacher recommendation, adequate grades from the prior school year, and required community service hours.
- Raising Expectations - This program is designed to help students who may have fallen behind for various reasons by providing a strong tutoring program once a week in the areas of language arts and math. Students that have scored “minimally proficient” or “partially proficient” in Galileo, or that have excessive absences, may also be required to attend tutoring. There is bus transportation available for our tutoring program.
- iReady - iReady is an adaptive learning program for reading and mathematics that pinpoints student needs down to the sub-skill level. Diagnostic tests and ongoing progress monitoring shows whether students are on track to achieve end-of-year targets. Research states that using iReady for 45 minutes a week should produce one years growth for each child.
- Eureka Math - Eureka Math connects math to the real world in ways that take the fear out of math and build student confidence, while helping students achieve true understanding lesson by lesson and year after year. The team of teachers and mathematicians who wrote Eureka Math took great care to present mathematics in a logical progression from pk through grade 12. This coherent approach allows teachers to know what incoming students already have learned and ensures that students are prepared for what comes next. When implemented faithfully, Eureka Math will dramatically reduce gaps in student learning, instill persistence in problem solving, and prepare students to understand advanced math. Eureka Math serves teachers, administrators, parents, and students with a comprehensive suite of innovative curriculum, in-depth professional development, books, and support materials for everyone involved.
- EngageNY - EngageNY.org is developed and maintained by the New York State Education Department. EngageNY.org is dedicated to providing educators across the country with real-time, professional learning tools and resources to support educators in college and career ready education for all students. Common core standards, curriculum and instructional resources, bilingual resources, performance tasks, and assessment guidelines and materials developed by NYSED and our partners Teacher/Leader Effectiveness materials such as leading and planning for APPR, various Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) and growth reporting system resources and information on the Value Added Measure (VAM) data driven instruction and inquiry resources including calendars, case studies, planning templates, implementation materials, and sample assessments to improve student learning throughout the year.
To ensure your child has stress free and productive school days, please continue a good sleep routine so that your child is well rested. Also, allow time for a healthy breakfast; make sure you know how your child will be getting home each day, and the lunch plan.
Please join us for our monthly principal’s coffee. Principal’s coffee provides an opportunity to share celebrations and Vulture Peak happenings. Please make sure to visit us on a regular basis and “like” us on our school Facebook. Both of these venues are ways to keep up with the most current events at school.
Jennifer Lougee, Principal